Praslin is the second largest island and 15 minutes by light aircraft from Mahé. Home to exquisite beaches Anse Lazio and Anse Georgette, both appearing on the top-10 list of world’s best beaches in recent years and the Vallée de Mai, one of Seychelles’s two UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
This island village has a population of just 6,500 people. Measuring 10km x 3.7km, a leisurely tour around the island by car will take approximately 2 hours. Prior to settlement of the islands by the French in the mid-18th century, Praslin's Côte d'Or was a favourite haunt of pirates.
The island was named Praslin after the Duc de Praslin, the French minister of marine in 1768 when the original 'Stone of Possession' was erected on the island in what is still known as Anse Possession. Almost a century and a half later the visiting General Gordon (of Khartoum fame) became convinced that the Vallee de Mai was the original site of the Garden of Eden. This is where the legendary Coco-de-Mer, the world's heaviest nut, grows high on ancient palms in a primeval forest. The Vallée de Mai is host to six species of palm to be found only in Seychelles.
Praslin stands at the forefront of Seychelles’ tourism industry with a strong tradition of hospitality and wide range of accommodation facilities. It also provides a base for excursions to neighbouring islands, some of which are important sanctuaries nurturing rare species of endemic flora and fauna.